National Medicare Education Week is an official week dedicated to helping baby boomers, Medicare beneficiaries, their families and caregivers learn more about Medicare. It is celebrated annually from September 15 through the 21, beginning exactly one month before the start of Medicare Open Enrollment Period (October 15-December 7). Learning about Medicare during National Medicare Education Week may help beneficiaries feel better prepared to make confident decisions about their health care coverage during the Open Enrollment Period.
LifeStream Services is a partner with the State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) which provides free, impartial health insurance information for people with Medicare. SHIP is a part of a federal network of State Health Insurance Assistance Programs and is not affiliated with any insurance company or agency and does not sell insurance.
During Medicare Education Week, LifeStream Services is highlighting the SHIP program and how our SHIP counselors can assist Medicare beneficiaries in making informed decisions regarding their coverage during the Open Enrollment Period between October 15 and December 7.
Navigating the complexities of healthcare is a challenging task. That’s where SHIP counseling comes in. The SHIP program:
- provides you with educational materials and brochures.
- helps you understand Medicare and organize your records.
- educates you on how Medicare claims are filed and how you can appeal Medicare decisions.
- teaches you to assess your needs so you can make informed decisions about your health insurance policies.
- informs you of your rights as someone with Medicare or health insurance policyholder.
- shows you how to evaluate the various prescriptions, Medicare supplement, and long-term care insurances that are currently available.
LifeStream SHIP counselors are available during Open Enrollment in Blackford, Delaware, Fayette, Franklin, Grant, Henry, Jay, Madison, Randolph, Rush, Union and Wayne counties. Those interested in reviewing their current coverage should call LifeStream Services at 800-589-1121. Please follow LifeStream on Facebook or visit lifestreaminc.org for announcements on community events and virtual info sessions through the Open Enrollment Period.
National Medicare Education Week was established in 2012. Proud 2015 supporters include UnitedHealthcare, AARP, the Caregiver Action Network (CAN), the National Association of Area Agencies on Aging (n4a), Walgreens, Albertsons and Safeway, in addition to local health care providers, senior centers and other organizations nationwide.