In celebration of Older Americans Month, we are recognizing the contributions made by older adults in our communities. We are sharing the nominations submitted for the LifeStream Golden Hoosier Award, which recognizes outstanding volunteerism by older adults. Stay tuned for an announcement on the winners of this award in the coming weeks.
Jane Ann Runyon
Always available to help Portland/Jay County community, Jane Ann Runyon has been an elected official for 25 years. She now serves as Executive Director of United Way of Jay County. She orchestrates with Second Harvest for food giveaways in Jay County. She was instrumental in helping our community when people had tornado damage to homes and had to relocate. She collected monetary donations from Jay County citizens to help our community with their needs from the destruction of the tornado. She helps with other charitable organizations in Jay County when she sees a need.
She serves on numerous boards and committees:
- Member of the Advisory Committee at Crossroads Federal Credit Union for 30+ years
- Member of the Child Protection Team with Division of Family & Children for 30+ years
- Treasurer of the Jay County Republican Central Committee many years
- Board of Directors for John Jay Center for Learning for two -six year terms – Secretary and Treasurer
- Secretary for the Steering Committee for the Portland Waterpark Fundraising effort
- Chamber of Commerce Winterfest Committee for many years
- Committee for the Jay County Promise – Probably the most rewarding project I have participated in. Giving young people HOPE for their futures has been amazing!!
- Steering Committee Portland Mainstreet Connect (a new group helping to revitalize downtown Portland)
- Committee of Community Leaders to Promote Quality Daycare in Jay County
She is always eager to help young people who want to engage in the political arena by helping them with their campaigns or giving them practical advice which will further their endeavors into politics.
In her spare time, Jane Ann and her husband, Greg, have raised and raced harness horses for 45 years, which one of her favorite past-times. She also has been the secretary-treasurer of the Jayland Trotting Association for many years and works closely with the Jay County Fair Board of Directors to get grant funding for many projects at the Fairgrounds to ensure the tradition of harness racing continues on one of the best county fair tracks in Indiana. She is a member of United States Trotting Association, Indiana Standardbred Association and she and Greg were just honored by the Indiana Standardbred Association for their years of service to Harness Racing in Indiana.
Jane Ann has lived in Jay County all of her life and truly does live and breathe Jay County. She is definitely deserving of this award.
The LifeStream Golden Hoosier Award is Sponsored By: