LifeStream is dedicated to promoting healthy and active living in the communities we serve.
We provide a variety of health and wellness programs and classes to help promote active living among older adults, people with disabilities, and their caregivers.
Learn more about the programs and classes we offer in our community, and other resources for promoting wellness.
Active Living Every Day
Active Living Every Day is an active living class that doesn’t involve exercise. Instead of exercising in class, participants learn how to incorporate being active into their daily lives. The class will discuss how to overcome personal barriers to physical activity, how to set realistic goals, and how to stay motivated.
Benefits to taking this course can include:
- Increased activity levels
- Reduced body mass index
- Improved cardiovascular fitness
- Reduced stress and depression.
Geri-Fit is a 45 minute video-led strength training exercise class for older adults. Most of the body building exercises are performed seated in chairs with a set of light dumbbell weights. As you become stronger, you can advance to heavier dumbbells in order to challenge yourself even more. Enrollment is open to older adults of all ages and fitness levels, simply work out at your own pace!
Participating locations include:
- Centerville-Abington Senior Center
- Farmland Community Center Forest Park Senior Center
- New Castle Senior Center
- Richmond Senior Community Center
- Western-Wayne Senior Center
Due to the pandemic, we are encouraging the virtual option for this program. Access the Geri-Fit program from the comfort and safety of your home:
Healthy Eating Every Day
Healthy Eating Every Day is a unique behavior change nutrition program focusing on the underlying causes of unhealthy eating. HEED will equip participants with the knowledge to live a healthier lifestyle and improve their overall health. Participants will set personal goals, and learn how to apply HEED’s behavior to the particular aspects of their diet and lifestyle that they need to change to achieve their personal goals. Topics covered include portion control, how to limit calorie dense food, and how to accumulate at least 30 minutes of moderate physical activity daily.
HomeMeds is a free review of all your medications by a trained professional. The participant’s medicines will be reviewed by a trained pharmacist. If needed, the participant’s personal physician will be contacted for changes if indicated.
If you answer yes to some or all of the questions below, you may benefit from a review:
- Do you see multiple doctors or fill prescriptions at multiple pharmacies?
- Do you take over-the-counter drugs or supplements?
- Do you have recently experienced a fall, dizziness, or unusual confusion?
- Do you have recently been to the ER or hospital?
- Do you take blood thinners or diabetes medication?
If you, a loved one, or a client are in need of this service, please call 1-800-589-1121 or fill out the online form.
A Matter of Balance
A Matter of Balance is an 8-week structured group intervention that emphasizes practical strategies to reduce fear of falling and increase activity levels. Participants can learn to view falls and fear of falling as controllable, set realistic goals to increase activity, change their environment to reduce fall risk factors, and exercise to increase strength and balance.
Does this sound like a class you or a loved one would benefit from?
WISE (Wellness Initiative for Senior Education)
This educational program offers six lessons that cover a wide range of topics. Join us for a fun program where you’ll meet new people and:
- Learn about the aging process and how to make healthy lifestyle choices.
- Celebrate this exciting stage of life and all the benefits that come with it.
- Discuss risk factors and behaviors you should avoid to stay healthy.
- Examine how alcohol, prescription medications and over-the-counter medications affect seniors differently and how you can avoid problems.
- Learn how to use simple tools to help you feel more empowered about your health and the healthcare you recieve.
For more information, call 800-589-1121.
LifeStream is dedicated to promoting the benefits of active living in our community.